Write Off Unaffordable Debts With A
Legislated Debt Solution

Apply Now
Talk To An Advisor Today
Call Us
Important Message : the content in these forums is user generated and archived here for the benefit of the community. Please make your own decisions on the validity of any information on these boards, as with all forums and life itself there's good advice and bad advice. If you have issues with debt then please contact us via any of the links on this site.

Rossendales and Legal Aid

For new members to post first time questions and get help.

Rossendales and Legal Aid

Postby gregzak » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello - I'm looking for a bit of advice please

I recently (stupidly) got involved in an assault trying to protect my daughter and have been taken to court. The Legal Aid Agency said that I'd have to contribute £949 for 6 months to defend the case. I only earn £1500 and my wife £600 and we have untold debts that leave us with a negative bank balance each month.

In the meantime, the solicitor said that if we paid him directly (£2400), then we could cancel the Legal Aid. The first instalment of £949 was due by 27th December 2016. The LA advised to make a token payment to Rossendales whilst they were reviewing the hardship appeal. They have now come back to us reducing the £949 to £678 per month for 6 months. This is beyond anything that we can afford - our rent alone is £900 per month.

Will they take us to court to get that amount each month?
Do you think I could set up a payment plan with them?
Also, now it's gone past the first instalment date, do you think it's too late to cancel Legal Aid request and pay the solicitor directly? I'm thinking of asking a family member for a loan.

I just don't want it to get to the point where bailiffs are on my doorstep.

Thanks for any help you can give.
gregzak
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Rossendales and Legal Aid

Postby Jinxer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 pm

What have you been charged with and are you pleading guilty. Sometimes paying out for a solicitor can be more expensive than the punishment.
Jinxer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gregzak » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Charged with assault - have pleaded guilty already and the solicitor quoted privately at £2400 - so approximately £1600 cheaper than paying for legal aid.
gregzak
New Recruit
New Recruit

Postby Jinxer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 pm

I can't understand how legal aid can cost more than paying the solicitor direct, If that's the case don't have legal aid.
Your solicitor sounds very expensive considering you never went to trial and plead guilty. I think your case is probably one that costs more for the solicitor than what the punishment will be.
Jinxer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Tellurian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:59 am

gregzak wrote:Hello - I'm looking for a bit of advice please

I recently (stupidly) got involved in an assault trying to protect my daughter and have been taken to court.

The above implies that you were protecting your daughter.
From what ?
What charge has been set out against you exactly as there are different levels of severity for assault.
We all have the right to defend ourselves and family.
If you believe you acted correctly, why not defend yourself?
Have you been to court and pleaded guilty or via a solicitor?

Remember, an attorney's first duty is to the court and not the client !

What are to trying to achieve by hiring a solicitor?
Tellurian
New Recruit
New Recruit

Return to New Member Questions