Get Out Of Debt
  • Write off unaffordable debts
  • Lower your monthly payments
  • Stop creditors from contacting you
  • Check My Debt Options

How Can I Get Out of Debt?

With a simple legislated debt solution you can consolidate all your debts into one lower, affordable monthly repayment. Make one set payment per month for a set period, and after the period expires any remaining debts left are legally written off. This can be up to 90% depending on your circumstances.

I’ve got a CCJ in Maiden name

Jemjewel asked:


I’ve got a letter today and I have a CCJ in my Maiden name.

They want 80 a month, I don’t work but my husband does.

I’ve read about applying to reduce the payments if I did this is it based on my personal income?

I.e. Tax credits and family allowance?

I’m considering bankruptcy but it’s expensive at the moment, because I think there may be a few more coming my way.

I’ve looked into dro but as I am starting university in September I’m concerned how it will affect my student loans (government ones) if anyone has any ideas it would be great.

I’m not sure how much my total debt is I’d say around 10,000.

Tiggy replied:

Did you not submit a defence when you received the claim form from the Court?

Income would be on yours alone if the debt is solely in your name.

Jemjewel replied:

No, I stupidly didn’t.

All of the debts which I am expecting are in my Maiden name and are from before I got married.

I’m sort of unsure which way to deal with these, I have no real income at the moment and unsure which is the best option at the moment.

Tiggy replied:

You can either apply to set aside the order and properly defend against the claim or you can apply to vary the order and offer a payment plan, can be as low as £1 a month.

Jemjewel replied:

Ok would you be able to tell me how to do these please?

Am I being too hasty considering bankruptcy/ dro?

I am concerned about other debts coming.

I don’t know where I stand with me starting uni in September, is my student loans going to be counted as income to pay towards any debts?

Tiggy replied:

You apply for a set aside using Court Form N244, it costs £255 or free if on low income or benefits, but you have to explain to the Court why you ignored the original claim and you will still have to defend against the claim

A Variation Order is Court Form N245, costs £50 or again free if on benefits or low income.

A DRO or bankruptcy should only be considered if you have no property, I would think a DRO would be more suitable for your level of debt.

No idea as to the student loan question.